Saturday, September 11, 2010

Feature Artist - Fay Roselt

Fay's Artist Statement ...

As a relative newcomer to the world of art, I feel a certain urgency to create; however, the reality is that although I'm overflowing with ideas, there isn't enough time for the actual creation of all the work milling around in the ‘ideas bank’.

Participation in a Machine Embroidery workshop by Carol Wilkes in 1999 (in response to an advertisement in the Courier Mail for the McGregor Winter School), kindled a deep interest in textile art. I hadn't realized that I was looking for something in life, but this workshop revealed in me an untapped passion. I was off on a grand journey.

This was followed by a McGregor Summer School workshop in 2000. Two weeks is a long workshop and I struggled to contain myself as my mind was brimming with ideas, excitement and endless possibilities. My tutor was Glenys Mann. She believed in me and with her dedication and encouragement I managed to last the two weeks. Glenys is still my mentor and continues to encourage me in my artistic endeavours.

Most artists seem to work in a chosen medium and develop from there, but I've not settled in a particular area as I'm interested in many facets of fibre art. As I consider myself a 'dabbler' I was well pleased when a well-respected artist/tutor referred to herself as a 'dabbler'.

Working with old woollen blankets, a nostalgic reminder of my childhood, gives me great pleasure. Sometimes stained and always well worn, these treasures have served their useful purpose well and with imagination can be transformed into a work of art.


Collage work with found objects is another area of particular interest. As an avid collector of interesting 'stuff' including feathers, bones, rusty things, desiccated frogs etc, there is much to work with.

My practice is intuitive rather than meticulously planned, ie I take an idea and go with it, the work just evolving rather than reaching a preconceived conclusion. However, participation in a workshop in January 2009 with good friend/mentor well-known embroidery artist Judy Wilford kindled my interest in design and I will explore this approach in future work.

No comments:

Post a Comment